Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Filipino Community of Edinburgh


The Philippines has been a very special part of my life since 1996 when I discovered I had two Filipino sisters living in the Visayans. In 2000 I finally took the time to travel over seas and meet them in person. It was a life changing experience. Not only did I discover a part of my life that was missing for twenty plus years, but I was introduced to a culture that was warm and inviting. After returning back to the states another wonderful Filipina entered my life and we have been partners for over seven years.
In 2007 I moved to Edinburgh (without my partner) to pursue my graduate degree in European Archaeology from the University of Edinburgh. I must admit it was difficult in the beginning. My world had completely shrunk. I moved from a four bedroom house with a lovely backyard to a single room the size of a closet. Everything I had loved (and even took for granted) was no longer there for me when I needed them. My partner, cat, dog, birds, and cable television. Depression easily came into the picture.


Thankfully, I was able to go back to Los Angeles for the Holiday break and be surrounded by everything I loved and cherished. Basically, I was recharged. Upon returning to Edinburgh I was determined to make these last eight months work. How could I go about bringing a little bit of home here in Edinburgh? I needed to think of something and quick. What made me happy? Then I realized that Filipino food was a good place to start. I began to search online for restaurants specializing in Filipino food.
I kept thinking to myself, "I am in Edinburgh, would a Filipino community even exist here?' Well, it turned out there was a community and to my amazement it was quite large.
I put on my coat and scarf then begin to walk from my flat in Old Town to another part of the city interestingly enough referred to as New Town. The trek was nearly two miles, but I was determined to get out of my shoe box and search for The Foods of the Philippines. After about an hour of walking (the roads turn and twist in Edinburgh) I finally reached my destination. I was in luck. They were open (many places close early in this city).

Should I dare walk in? I admit there was some hesitation. Would they look at me strange? Would they welcome this white male from the states? I put my fears aside and walked through the doors. Once inside I saw a group of people sitting in the back watching European football (soccer) and having lunch.
I quietly walked around trying not to draw to much attention to myself. When out from nowhere I was approached by a little elderly Scottish man. "May I help you sir", said the friendly little man.


"I am just looking around", I quickly said back. Then I asked him if there was a restaurant on the premises.
He looked up at me and smiled. "Of course there is." "Emma and Susan make the best food around", he said back to me.
"Whats on the menu today?” I asked him.
"Well, let’s find out", he said.
After a minute or two the elderly man came back from the kitchen and told me I could have chicken or pork longanisa and spring rolls.
"How about Halo Halo?” I asked. Then the small dining room became full of light laughter. A thin Filipino lady looked at me and smiled.
"It’s to cold to have Halo Halo". "Come back in the summer and I will make you a big bowl of halo halo with everything, okay honey", she said with a smile.
"Okay", I said. "Then I will have the pork longanisa".
Emma and another lady quickly made a space for me at one of the nearby tables and I took my seat. The elderly gentleman sat down next to me and introduced himself.
"My name is Stuart", he said.
"Hi, I am Charles".
Then he looked back at me and said, "Been in Edinburgh long Charles?"
"Going on four months now." I am attending uni." "You have a nice place here."
"Thank you", said Stuart. "I tried to make it as Filipino as possible". "I wanted to capture the warmth and hospitality of the Philippines".
Then we began to talk about the Philippines and I explained to him that I have two sisters from the central region of the Philippines.
Immediately, someone from across the table asked me, "You have been to the Philippines?"
Yes, I said back cheerfully. "I even have a family home in Antique"
So you like Filipino food?” the lady said back.
"Yes I do, well most of it."
After a few minutes went by the store suddenly became full of customers. I was surprised to see so many non-Filipinos come into the establishment. All of the tables were suddenly seated with hungry faces. Every time a new group of people walked through the doors Stuart would be there to greet them with a smile.

In time (or what is known as Filipino time) my dish came out of the kitchen and was brought to my table. It was a beautiful presentation of rice, pork, fried egg, and a tomato slice. I was in food heaven. As I began cutting my meat with a spoon, Stuart looked at me then said, "Would you like a knife?"
I looked up from my plate then said back in a friendly voice, "No thanks, old habits are hard to break."
It did not take long to clean my plate. Stuart was correct when he described the cooks as the best around. I was not disappointed. After lunch I and my happy belly stayed around to watch Filipino television with the rest of the locals. Do I understand anything they are saying? Of course not, but that is not the point. I just wanted to feel like a little bit of home was with me here across the pond.

3 comments:

daniel neil said...

Awww what a great story, Charles! You must take us when we come visit sometime soon. L&D

thegstop said...

sure. the food is amazing.

The Life of Aimers said...

Charles I need a good home cooked filipino breakfast with you and tee. Great story, thanks for sharing.